Dear Coney Island Prep Families,
First and foremost, we would like to thank you once again for the collaboration, resiliency, flexibility and trust. This year required you to take on new responsibilities you never imagined amidst the uncertainty and loss that COVID-19 brought to us over the past year.
As our campuses work hard on re-imagining how we educate our children, we are excited to share with you our reopening plans for fall 2021. We have added a new location for our Upper Elementary School (UES), which will allow us to support expanded enrollment in K, 1, 3, 4 & 6. Located at 133 27th Avenue, this UES is only a 12 minute walk from our Lower Elementary School on 24th Avenue. As a result of our added campus and available health indicators, we will return to full-time, in-person learning on Monday, August 23rd. This means that all students in grades K through 12 will be learning in-person this fall five days a week.
All teachers and staff will also be returning to in-person instruction this fall. We are very grateful for the dedication of all our Principals, Directors of Operations, teachers and school staff and recognize the hard work they have done during this challenging year, and we’re excited for your children to reconnect with their beloved teachers and school staff, in addition to their peers in August.
As we prepare for your children, as well as teachers and staff, to return to schools, we will continue our commitment to prioritize health and safety first. With a current rolling 7-day COVID positivity rate of 0.16% citywide and a consistently low number of COVID cases/zero COVID cases amongst our in-person scholars this year, and no evidence of spread as a result of any CIP COVID cases, our schools have a proven track record of being safe. We will meet all health requirements which may be in place at the beginning of the school year, and we expect that the city’s continuously improving health metrics may allow for more flexibility by the fall. Finally, in our commitment to keep health and safety a top priority, in addition to 79% of our staff being vaccinated, we plan to adhere to the many health and safety measures we had in place this past school year, including the following:
- Masks will continue to be a requirement in all of our school buildings
- Individuals with COVID-19 symptoms will continue to be required to stay at home
- Students, teachers and staff will continue to complete a daily health screener
- Every school building will continue to have a nurse
- Every classroom will have working ventilation systems, air filters, and detailed cleaning protocols
- On-site COVID-19 testing will continue in school buildings as recommended by the latest health guidance
- Quick action will be taken to ensure that any positive cases are isolated and close contacts are quarantined
- Vaccination is encouraged, and vaccination information will be requested from students and staff
We know that many of our students have not attended school in person since March of 2020, and that returning to school in person this fall will be an adjustment. We promise to do everything we can to welcome your children back and provide them with the supports needed to ensure a positive homecoming. As you all know, we have made efforts to heavily incorporate socio-emotional learning into our curriculum to assist scholars with navigating the emotional changes attributed to the challenges of learning during a pandemic.
With that being said, please see below for important information regarding the upcoming school year:
We will share the 2021 – 2022 academic-year calendar in this week’s newsletter, which will be sent out at 6pm today. In the meantime, please note our first and last days below:
- First Day – Grades 3-5: Monday, August 23rd, 2021
- Last Day – Grades 3-5: Friday, June 17th, 2022
We are also making some slight changes to the daily schedule. We have slightly changed the starting and ending time of our day in order to ensure a more sustainable schedule for everyone as we continue to maximize the use of all the time that we have with our scholars. Beginning this coming year, our school day will begin at 7:45 am, and we will dismiss at 3:20 pm on Monday – Thursday and at 1:15 pm on Friday.
- We are excited to announce that Lakota Leijon will be joining as the UES Dean of Students.
- We will have two Coney Island Prep alumni, now college graduates, joining our school staff for the 2021-2022 school year.
- We will have a new Upper Elementary School Operations Team.
- We are also sad to report that Regina Gettig, Johnny Pierre, and Katherine Weech are leaving Coney Island Prep Upper Elementary School and will no longer be in their roles as classroom teachers, we wish them the best in their future endeavors.
Thank you for all of your support throughout the 2020 – 2021 school year. From the entire Coney Island Prep team, we hope you have a wonderful summer, and we can’t wait to work with you again in the 2021 – 2022 school year! If you have any questions or need any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us at (929) 275-5864.
Rachel Kashner – Principal
Karen Johnson – Director of Operations
Leslie-Bernard Joseph – CEO